RCHS Welcomes New Honorary Cheerleaders

Alina Corona and Mia Corralejo wear their custom made white cheer shirts and help fire up the crowd during a recent football game at RCHS.

AnnaMaria Corona, Writer

Two River City High School students from Nancy Abplanalp’s ‘Special Needs’ class were invited to cheer with the junior varsity cheerleading squad last Friday night during the Raider’s home game against Yuba City.
Students Alina Corona and Mia Corralejo had the opportunity to help excite the crowd and encourage the football team in what turned out to be very close and tense game that came down to the last play.
Besides being close to all the action on the field, Corralejo said that what she liked most about cheerleading was the new friendships she has been able to make with the other members of the squad.
The two new honorary cheerleaders participated in the routines with the assistance of senior cheerleader Samantha McCormack.
McCormack is Abplanalp’s teacher assistant in her class. It was McCormack’s idea to have the two girls come out and cheer and she took the lead in organizing the details of this event. McCormack also designed and ordered custom t-shirts online for the two girls to wear during the game.
“It was really fun. Seeing Mia and Alina having fun and being so excited, they took the stress away,” says McCormack.
Mia and Alina have been invited to join the cheerleading squad for the remainder of the football and basketball seasons at all home games. They will cheer next Friday the 23rd at River City’s senior night during junior varsity’s last home game of the season against Woodland.
When asked her reaction to seeing her daughter cheer for the first time, Alina’s mom, Melissa Corona said, “It makes me so proud of our community’s high school students and cheerleaders to see how welcoming and supportive they have been. It was such an emotional experience to see the girls do something I never thought they could.”