3,000 Oscars Later

Farina Khalil, Editor

The Academy Awards are an American event, also called The Oscars, made to recognize cinematic excellence, presented by the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences (AMPS). The first awards ceremony was broadcasted on the radio in 1930 and was brought to our television screens for the first time in 1953. Since then, approximately 3,000 Oscars have been awarded.
“I don’t think the Oscars are unfair because if a movie or actor/actress are good enough, they’ll make it all the way up to the Oscars,” says sophomore Pierre Clay.
On Sunday, February 28th, the AMPS held their 88th annual ceremony held at the Dolby theatre which was hosted by Chris Rock. Actors, directors, animators and more were being nominated in categories such as Best Picture, Best actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Original Song, Best Original Musical, Best Foreign Film, Best Action Short Film, Best Documentary, Best Visual Effects, etc.
“My favorite win had to be Leonardo DiCaprio, his win was so well deserved and I feel like the longer he waited the more he appreciated it so perfect timing for him too,” says sophomore Amy Khan.
The top winners of the night were Leonardo DiCaprio for best actor (The Revenant), ‘Spotlight’ for best picture, Brie Larson for best actress (Room) and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for best director (The Revenant).
“I feel like the Oscars are rigged because they pick the most famous actors/actresses as opposed to the people who did a better performance but are underrated. Although, my favorite win was Amy Winehouse for best documentary,” says freshman Anna Pettitt.

About the Writer
Farina Khalil, Editor

3rd year in journalism, inzayn. Hey guys it’s your very own, Farina. If you’re here then great I guess you want to know all about me. I’m still learning...