The Classification of Celebration

Joseph Rodriguez, Neha Tawana, and Robby Vela

In early April, many people in the Sacramento community celebrated Easter Sunday, a holiday that has its origins in the Christian faith. Some of the more religious believers around the county and beyond are having thoughts that many holidays like Christmas or Easter are becoming more about commercialism and a day to just get off work rather than celebrating the religious aspect of the holiday.

Recently, a survey was taken by 85 River City students to ask various questions on the topic of Easter, commercialism, and losing the point of these days. Out of data taken, 51 out of 85 students believed that the idea of only caring about using the day as an excuse for celebration is just not true, at least in their perspective.

Likewise, in terms of  certain holidays like Easter or Christmas are developing into some sort of marketing device, it is almost down the middle in terms of opinions, but 41 out of 81 that did respond believed the answer was no.

Jesse Rodriguez, a freshmen at River City, has the perspective of someone who was an altar boy when he was younger, causing him to be surrounded by a heavily religious environment. To him at least, the point of Easter is to be with your family and at least honor something, but does enjoy the more “party” parts of the day.

“To me at least, Easter is a holiday that is about Jesus’ resurrection, which leads to the day being about prayer and your family, but I would be lying if I didn’t like enjoying the time with friends and family.”

Mr. Mizner, a Biology teacher and leader of the Bible Club at River City, thinks that in terms of whether or not Easter is just a marketing ploy for companies to make a profit, he considers Christmas as the day that really is shifting towards commercialism rather than Easter. “I think Christmas has more of an issue, considering just how much people care about Black Friday or Cyber Sunday when compared to the 24th, but Easter Sunday doesn’t seem to be about making a profit.”

In response, Reverend Giancarlo of the Holy Cross Church located in West Sacramento, believes that there is some sort of issue when it comes to how people are celebrating certain dates, as many have the perception of Easter or Christmas in a more negative or greedy way.

“There are some that do indeed celebrate these important days in a less than savory way, but many do keep the values of these days and still can be with their families without any negative connotation,” said Reverend Giancarlo.

With conversations of varying sentiments on the possibility of commercialism integrating into holidays, the new question being asked is because of the general public feeling different on the topic of religion and certain ideas generally, are these special days changing into something that could be considered “better” or rather something “worse?”

Giovanni Reyes, a sophomore at River City, believes that people like to over exaggerate just how much certain people care about money during these events and these days are still the same more or less. “Sure, I like to get a new iPhone or pair of shoes on Christmas, but it’s still the same day it was like ten-twenty years ago.”

Mizner thinks that the holidays are becoming something a bit different these days but many people are still focused on certain ideas like Jesus or family. “I see Christmas becoming more different based on certain ideas like Santa Claus, where he has evolved and changed into something completely different from his origins, but people do still care about being with their families and honoring the roots of holidays, so there is a middle ground at the moment.”

About the Writers
Joseph Rodriguez, Writer
Hello, my name is Joseph Rodriguez, and I am enrolled as a Junior at River City High School in West Sacramento, which is my hometown. I originally joined Journalism on kinda a whim, thinking that it would be interesting, and since my freshmen year, it has been basically my job (In school terms anyway). I...
Robby Vela, Writer
My name is Robby Vela and I am 17 years old and a junior at River City High School. I am a very artsy and a creative person. I like to travel a lot and enjoy new and different places and cultures.  My mind is loud and I like to speak out on a lot...