RCHS student recognized for academic achievement

Samuel Chen holds up a cookie with the 2014 Mathletes team with the coach and his favorite teacher Judy Tan in the foreground.

Saba Khan, Editor

Samuel G. Chen, a senior at River City High School has been named a Commended Student in the 2016 National Merit Scholarship Program. Commended students placed among the top five percent of more than 1.5 million students who entered the 2016 competition by taking the 2014 PSAT/NMSQT.
Chen has a GPA of 3.98 this semester which according to him is the lowest in his family, highest being his older sister, 4.5. Samuel Chen is a very motivated and enthusiastic student.
After high school, he would like to attend Stanford University or Dartmouth which is a private IV League research college. He wants to be a college professor for calculus.
“Ms. Tan is the reason I’m interested in math in the first place. I’ve had her for 3 terms and she’s a great teacher,” Chen stated, “My friends and my family, the people I care about the most are who motivate me, especially my mom who has been really encouraging and supportive.”
In elementary school, Chen was involved in the GATE program for mathematics. He passed geometry in middle school and has been a member of the River City Mathletes club since freshman year. Chen said, “The first time I got a math problem wrong was in mathletes, I think it’s very challenging.”
He earned a score of 2250 out of 2500 on his SAT. Throughout his high school years, he took four math courses; Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus AB, and AP Calculus BC, all which he passed with an A+.
As a student, many would describe him as a helpful and enthusiastic person. Junior Sheshneel M. Kishun, a classmate said, “He is very energetic. He is willing to learn new things. He is eccentric and humorous. He has a very positive outlook on life and a unique personality.”

About the Writer
Saba Khan, Editor

Hey guys, it’s me again. It’s my third year going into journalism and I feel honored to have the title of an editor. I really enjoy being in this class...