Athletic Banner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athletic Banner

The River City athletic department is displaying a banner above the entrance of the gymnasium featuring thirty six of River City’s top athletes. The players were chosen for the poster by athletic director, James King, who asked the coaches to pick the athlete that best represented their team.

Coach King was not only looking for exceptional players, but athletes who best represented the program in a positive light in the classroom, on the playing field, and for the community. Throughout this school year, the athletes here at River City had many highlights and accomplishments that they should be proud of.

“There are so many (accomplishments) on the playing fields. Thus far, we have league champions in Water Polo, Girls Tennis, and Boys Basketball. We are in contention in many of the spring sports. But without a doubt, I am most proud of how our student-athletes have performed in the classroom,” says King.

Over 72% of student-athletes have a GPA above a 3.0, with 3.2 being the average overall athletic GPA.

King, expressing his pride for the students, says “that shows that we are not only winning games but we are winning in class.”

Many athletes this year not only needed to keep up with their sports, but they also faced maintaining grades. Kaitlyn Donoghue, a freshman midfielder on the girls’ junior varsity soccer team, works very hard to keep her grades up while dedicating time to her sport.

“It’s really hard to get homework done if you’re coming home from school at eight… but I get it done anyway and still keep good grades and do sports,” says Kaitlyn.

Julia Snarr, a junior here at River City, wants to try to compete on the track team during college.

“My goal is to go hopefully go to college running level but if I can’t… I can still run in other events,” she says.

Senior Ashlend Rodriguez has already committed to playing softball in an out-of-state college. She hopes to compete hard on the field, but is already looking forward to life after sports.

“My goal my freshmen year in college is to play on the softball team and after I graduate college I want to become a physical therapist,” she says.

Coach King is hoping to build an athletics program made up of athletes who will be role models for other players and students alike. He wants his players to put in all their effort instead of striving for perfect results, as well as players who will not give up even when facing adversity.

“There is no shame in giving your all and not getting a victory. But there is never any sense of satisfaction if you did not give your all even if the scoreboard says you won,” says King.

About the Writers
Faisal Khan, Writer

My name is Faisal Khan and I am an opinionated person and express my feelings more than I should. I’m beautiful, I’m talented, the haters know where...

Manreet Virk, Editor

Hey guys, this is Manreet and this is my 3rd year in Journalism. I believe that life is about doing what you love, along with people you wouldn’t live...