River City Sets School Records in Last Home Meet

RCHS Senior Alayah Smith receives roses from Coach Williams (on left) and Coach DePrato (on right) during the last home track meet of her career. Smith had strong sprints in the 100m, 200m, and both relays.

Saba Khan, Writer

River City High School held their last track home meet of the season last Wednesday in a Tri-County Conference league competition that featured athletes from Pioneer, Rio Linda, Inderkum, River Valley, and Woodland high schools.

Several Raiders performed at a high level, impressing Coach Anthony Williams and Coach DePrato for putting in all the work that allowed them to compete favorably against their league rivals.

RCHS sophomore Imani Green continued his strong season by breaking the school record in the 300m hurdles with a time of 40.93.

Another RCHS school record was broken by senior Faith Grewe in the 100m hurdles with a time of 16.59. Grewe broke the record that was set earlier this season by senior Brianna Staffler. “I wasn’t mad, I was actually proud of her because it was her first time running the 16’s,” said Staffler.

Although coming in second to Grewe in that race, Staffler won the high jump and got revenge by beating Grewe in the 300m hurdles and finishing 4th overall.

It was signature performance by Staffler who was competing in her last track meet at RCHS. “It was kind of sad but scary at the same time because that means I have to start college soon,” said Staffler.

The junior boys had a strong showing which foreshadows success for next year’s team. Junior Landon Hubbard won the 300m hurdles and finished 3rd in the 400m sprint. Junior Darrell Johnson placed 2nd in the 110m and 300m hurdles. Junior Keith Cole won the triple jump and Junior Riley Tilson placed 2nd in the shot put.