The New And Improved Raiders

The JV Baseball team’s season at River City High School this year

Anthony Castro, Reporter

Andrew Geers, one out of the 9 freshman on the JV baseball team, is a hard working player on and off the field.

“I play pitcher, outfield, infield. But I’ll play anywhere the coach puts me to help out the team”, Geers responded.

He has been playing the sport for a long time.

“I started playing baseball when I was 5 years old, when first starting out I played Little League Baseball and Travel Baseball”.

In Little League, Geers made the All-Star team 4 to 5 times in his age division, which is pretty hard to do. “The farthest we went without getting eliminated was in the state tournament”. The crazy part is Geers didn’t even give it his best effort at tryouts. ”I was sick with the flu during tryouts”.

Geers doesn’t just get his talents from practicing a lot, Baseball actually runs in his family. “My grandpa (Randy Lerch) played Baseball and he made it to the professional level. He was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in 1975 and won the World Series with the Phillies in 1980, but he also played on the San Francisco Giants, Milwaukee Brewers, and Montreal Expos throughout his career. He was a pitcher just like me”.

Baseball, considered as America’s pastime has about 500-600 million people playing around the world. But at here at River City High School it might be the least played sport this year.

Usually every sport at schools have a Freshman, JV, and Varsity team. Some sports that are more unpopular at schools like Golf, Swimming, Rugby, and more, the coaches usually except all the players trying out for the sport because of the lack of people trying out and won’t have enough players for each team if they did make cuts.

Popular sports like Football, Basketball, Soccer, and Baseball get more participants to make the team. Also making it more tougher for coaches by making a whole lot of cuts.

But the Raiders Baseball team have had trouble with players coming and trying out which has lead to no Freshman Baseball team for 2 years straight now, with their being 14 total players on the JV baseball team, and 9 of them are freshmans.

Last year, The Raiders JV baseball team had a losing season finishing out with a record of 6 wins and 13 losses. This year, while starting this story the JV team’s record was 3 wins and 3 losses. The team has turned it around into a winning season with a record of 10 wins, 6 losses, and 2 ties currently. With blowing out teams like Burbank High School, 39-0.

“ We approved on working as a team and giving it 100% every game”, Geers added.