The Next Top Model

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Next Top Model

Lily Matamoros is walking the runway at a Fashion Show with people taking photos of her.

Faisal Khan

There are many students that have jobs during their high schools years. Some students work at a grocery store or a clothing store, but a few have a legitimate career. Lily Matamoros is a sophomore at River City that has an actual job as a model.

She believes that modeling will be her career for the foreseeable future. “I definitely found my path. It’s cool that I found it at a young age. Unlike other people who later in their life found out what they want to be,” said Lily.

Her most recent accomplishment was being included in FSHN Magazine, a well-known fashion industry publication that has included many big names such as Scarlett Johansson, an actor that has been in the movies most recently Lucy and The Avengers, and a singer named Rita Ora. Lily has also been included in a local publication, The Sac Fashion Magazine.

“My favorite part is just doing what I love to do. As a kid I loved the spotlight and now I can do it as a career,” explains Lily.

Lily recognizes that the fashion industry isn’t perfect. She sees the need for change in the modeling industry. “I want more diversity. I would think I’m diverse because I have freckles and colored hair. Unlike a lot of models who usually have clear pale skin and are usually blonde.”

When Lily has a photo-shoot or a fashion show she can’t put on any make-up. This is because they want professional make-up artists doing it instead. Then, they dress her up and she goes out and works it on stage. According to Lily, she usually has a ten hour photo-shoot and gets paid ten dollars per hour.

Lily’s friend and fellow sophomore, Saba Khan, said, “I feel she will make far in this industry because she really is passionate about it and I can tell she enjoys what she does.”

“I am so proud. She is a beautiful girl and I love just seeing her be happy and working really hard to follow her dreams. I will support her through the way and I am just really happy for her achievements,” said Stacy Matamoros, Lily’s mother.

About the Writer
Faisal Khan, Writer

My name is Faisal Khan and I am an opinionated person and express my feelings more than I should. I’m beautiful, I’m talented, the haters know where...