Two Faced

For many people across the globe, make up is a crucial part of their everyday routine. But whether they wear it or not, they will get judged for wearing too much or none at all. This is the double standard of makeup.

The illustrious impact of makeup and its effects is never lost on those who wear it or fans of it but to some it’s viewed as something unnecessary or unappealing. Either way, if you happen to fit those categories you’ve been criticized or ridiculed.

With spring lines being released, makeup artist and enthusiast are taking advantage of their tax check and are having fun trying out all the new shades. Spring collections coming from brands such as ELF, MAC, Tarte, and Lime Crime etc. usually release new lines when the seasons change since trends also tend to shift at those times as well.

“As long as people want to make themselves ‘better’ or improve themselves, they will continue to buy things like makeup to make themselves look ‘prettier’,” says Sephora worker Isabella.

The beauty industry has always thrived on the insecurities of their consumers or the need to accentuate a feature to elevate ones ego and will continue to do so. But when people who don’t pay for your makeup or don’t matter much in your personal life express their opinion on your looks, one can’t help but get offended. Most often these unnecessary comments will come from men or those who think highly of themselves for not wearing makeup at all.

“Men thinking women put on makeup to appeal to them is so funny to me because I’m literally doing my eyebrows as mean and intimidating as possible so y’all will leave me alone,” says blogger Chen Meloetta.

According to a recent study done by Zoosk, a dating app, “66% of men said they didn’t like dark make-up, while 57% said that they wouldn’t like a women wearing red lippie on a first date.”

“I prefer a girl with makeup, I think makeup makes girls look better,” says junior Hakim Tran. Unbeknownst to him though is that his opinion on girls wearing makeup is irrelevant and unnecessary.

The Zoosk survey also found out that girls who wore makeup around their eyes were 139% more likely to get messaged than those who didn’t, girls who wore lipstick were 119% more likely to get messages than those who went without it, and if they were wearing blush, they got 24% more messages than those who didn’t.

“I have told girls not to wear makeup, friends or girls I’m tryin to date. I will try to boost their self-esteem to get that stuff off their face. Anyone who wears it, they don’t need it, I promise them. I don’t wear makeup and look at me, pretty as the color blue,” says freshman Pierre Clay.

Many people feel the need to comment, without realizing even if their trying to pay someone a complement it’s coming out as insult. Many people wear makeup for themselves or for others and that should be respected, no matter the circumstances.

“I, along with many other people who indulge in makeup, do it for myself and only myself. You are not paying for my makeup so you have no say,” Karina Bueno former student of River City.

About the Writers
Laura B. Valdez, Writer

I am sophomore at River City and my current interest are Nabeelah Tran, Feminism, makeup, thick people and Milky phone cases. The future is constantly...

Pawan Singh, Writer

Sophomore, loser, and a nerd. I’m a pretty fun loving person and I’m a Louis Tomlinson enthusiast. Drawing and reading seem to be my only decent interests...

Nabeelah Tran, Writer

I am a freshman at River City and my current interests are cute animals, flowers, and Laura Valdez follow her on Instagram @mixed.jpg. I don’t know what...