RCHS hosts Spring Showcase

Journalism Staff, Writer

River City High School held its first annual Spring Showcase celebration on Tuesday April 21st. The evening was created to give many of the academics, sports and clubs the opportunity to distribute information to give students and the community an idea of the wide range of programs active on campus.

Included in the event were visual and performing arts, science, engineering, dance, electronics, JROTC, cheerleading, athletics, and activity clubs. Although free of admission, the sale of many items available at the event will be used to benefit student programs.

“I think it went very well…I was very satisfied…people were relaxed, had fun and enjoyed a nice evening. Families came and found there were things their children could do…it was fun for all with entertainment and information,” says US History teacher and Student Senate advisor Gary Restivo.

The Greenhouse and Garden Club, Farm to Fork elective, and AP Environmental class, headed by Jennifer McAllister, featured a “stream table” activity to demonstrate how erosion works and sold Earth Day t-shirts as well as garden plants grown by students in the campus greenhouse.

Nidhi Solanki, who works with the Yolo County Office of Education and was a recent graduate of International Agricultural Development at UC Davis, has been assisting on campus with various science classes throughout the year and participated with a presentation about energy efficient light bulbs and talked about how to use less energy.

“Be cautious, turn off your lights, unplug your appliances, and change your light bulbs, that’ll save the earth and your money,” said Solanki.

Computer Programming student, sophomore Vikram Kelkar created a presentation on the importance of computer sciences and showed the potential benefits of learning the computer programming languages of C and Java. The AP Computer Science class offers an Oracle certification test at the end of the course that can help students with employment opportunities in the tech industry.

Kelkar says, “I love the creative aspect about it. When you think of creativity, art and music comes to most people’s minds. But that’s not true. With computer programming and computer science, I have the opportunity to create anything my mind can imagine but, just virtually.”

Many extracurricular clubs on campus give students a chance to get involved in school beyond their academic classes. The GSA Club (Gay-Straight Alliance) participated in hopes of informing people and raising money by selling shirts and cupcakes in order for students to attend future events including the SF Pride Parade. The club hopes to create a safe environment that is supportive for all students.

Other activities featured during the event was a flag ceremony and model rocket launches by JROTC as well as performances from the dance classes, Jazz Band and Choir simultaneously around campus. Students also participated in a dodge ball game held in the H Commons as well as an art showcase that displayed works created by students in various art classes and a performance of Romeo and Juliet in the library and “I Am The Image” project skits.

Restivo says that there is already planning underway for future showcases which will possibly have performances by the school’s big band, more drama productions in the schools Black Box stage room, and the participation of even more classes and student projects. He hopes that this will grow as an event to be an important outlet for students to show the community what they are able to accomplish.

Lynnette Campbell, Director of Curriculum and Instruction and Professional Development for Washington Unified School District, said, “I think it’s a brilliant idea, I’m very impressed and I think whoever came together to put this together really did a good job.”