River City Student in Custody for Allegedly Making Threats

Back to Article
Back to Article

River City Students continue on with their day, as they seem unaffected by the events of yesterday.

Aleia Haith, Writer

On October 28, a threat of an attempted school shooting was made at River City High School by an unnamed minor, but he was quickly put into custody when another female student at River City High School alerted administration about the threats the minor was making at the student body.
The student was rumored to have weapons and a list of people he wanted to kill with him, but no official information has been officially released on the subject.
Mrs. Michener, a librarian at RCHS, said, “I think the administration handled it calmly and professionally. [They] made sure staff and students were safe and that parents were contacted.”
An All Call (when the school alerts all the homes of their students through phones) went out to all RCHS student’s parents the next day to provide information on the incident. They also claimed that it was an isolated incident, implying that it was not connected to the shooting of a Riverbank Elementary School student in West Sacramento on the 24th of this month.
When the parents received the All Call, some ended up pulling their children out of school for the day, while some teachers decided not to show up.
According to Mrs. Michener, the staff were informed by email about the incident. She said, “I was surprised, I was shocked by who it was. Because of the interactions I’ve had with the student have always been fairly positive.”
The Principle of RCHS, Stan Mojsich, came around to many of the classrooms and alerted the students that everything was going to be fine and the situation was taken care of by authorities. He also stated that “if any students had any information about the incident, they should report it to administration immediately.”
Many students reacted to the news with paranoia and fear. Roselynn Berry, a senior at the school, said, “I was just so shocked, you know, you hear about this stuff on the news but you never really think it will happen to your school.”
Although many students have expressed shock, there have been many incidents in our country according to bbc news, there have been over “142 school shooting incidents since the massacre at Sandy Hook elementary on 14 December.”
“You know the first thing that came to my mind?” Mrs. Michener started off, as she began to explain her opinion on why students would act this way, “Bullying. First thing. Students really have to be taught not to bully. The threat probably wouldn’t have been made if the student had not been bullied.”
The minor is still in custody.