Working AVIDly

AVID program helps students reach their hopes and dreams of a successful future

Sofia Wells, Reporter

Every parent’s dream is to see their child succeed in school. They want to  see good grades, see them do their homework, and see them put in effort. When the time comes, they want to see their child become more serious about their academics and start applying for colleges.

Some students really want to go to college, while  others do not , and the students who want to go to college, most likely take the class AVID.

AVID stands for “Advancement Via Individual Determination.”  The class is a nonprofit class that changes lives by helping schools shift to a more equitable student approach, and also helps students reach their hopes and dreams of having a successful future. The class trains 70,000 educators annually to prepare all students for college, careers, and life.

There are 3 levels in AVID:  AVID Elementary, AVID Secondary, and AHE (AVID for Higher Education). AVID elementary develops academic habits students  will need to be successful in middle school, high school, and college in an age- appropriate and challenging way. Children learn about organization, study skills, communication, and self-advocacy.

AVID Secondary is usually taken in high school, for one period a day. Students receive the additional academic, social, and emotional support that will help them succeed. The students taking AVID are often students who will be the first in their families to attend college, or are from groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education.  

AVID for higher education works with 2 and 4 year colleges and universities to implement a balanced approach to accelerating students’ success.

Ronaldo Oseguera and Sofia Salas are two juniors at River City  who are currently taking the AVID class. Students usually have similar reasons why they chose to take the class. Oseguera said, “I take the class because I want to be the second person to go to college.” He seemed very proud to be a AVID student. When Salas was asked, she responded with, “My family told me that I should take the class so it could help me in the future with college.”

Over the years, AVID has expanded to a lot of places. In 1980 at Clairemont high school in San Diego, thats where the first AVID class was founded by teacher Mary Catherine Swanson. Then in 1996, the class expanded to all regions of California and now today, AVID is in more than 6400 schools in 47 states across the US.

For the time AVID has been around,  it’s been known for success.“I take the class so I can learn more about college” Salas shared. The class is also known to be influential to students’ high school experience.“It showed me how I want to go to college, and how I wanna do good in school,” Oseguera stated.  “I look at my future way different than I did before, I care more than I did before taking AVID,” Salas emphasized.

AVID helps a lot of students around the country with their education. Take AVID and make not only your school life, but personal life easier.

About the Writer
Sofia Wells, Reporter

Sofia has been a reporter for the Journalism staff for two years. Her favorite high school memory is attending the Friday night football games. After high...