Employed in High School

Students at River City share their job-hunt experiences and share advice for others.

Mimi Nguyen, Editor

As new years of high school pass by, students get more familiar with the environment they are in on the school campus and know a good number of faces they’ve met. New responsibilities also come along as every grade level has different deadlines and milestones.

Around this time, students are able to get their driver’s licenses and work permits. These are two significant parts of anyone’s life.

Having a license enables one to transport themselves instead of having to ask for rides from their parents or guardians. It’s a liberating feeling to be in control of  a vehicle, but safety and attention has to be kept high.

After students receive their license, the next thing they get to is working and making their own money, otherwise known as getting a job.

People may think that finding a job is easy, but really, it can take a prolonged amount of time. People of all ages are applying to the same places, and some jobs may not be hiring due to only hiring for seasonal positions. There are so many different types of places to work at, including food places/restaurants, retail stores, or even babysitting.

Many students at River City High School have jobs that are local in the area. Maria Gonzalez, senior, remembers when she went through this step and has applied to multiple places.

“I applied for Parks & Rec, Panda Express, a couple daycares and some senior care facilities. Panda Express responded a couple weeks after, also some of the daycares and one senior care facility. Unfortunately, I was put on waitlist because of my age. But that took a month and the senior care facility took 4 months,” Gonzalez informed.

Gonzalez now works for the City of West Sac at an ASES program, called Kidzone/Clubwest. She has been working there since November of 2018. Most places require an application to be filled out to then schedule an interview.

Gonzalez shared, “I would definitely recommend to prepare yourself for the questions. And remember that if you don’t get called back, there’s more places. Just keep looking for them.”

Andrianna Sawyer, Senior, has had experience with applying to jobs as well.

“I’ve applied to a lot of places honestly- Michael’s, Rubios, you name it. I would say 3/10 usually responded and I’ve always gotten to the interview.”

Sawyer is now currently working at Mirror Image Dance Company located in Davis, CA. Her first job was working at a Santa set during Christmas time.

“A benefit of having a job is making your own money. Negatives are the amount of time it takes, and it can be hard to balance life, school, and work,” Sawyer remarked.

Now that spring is here, there are new seasonal jobs open. Kylie O’Hara, Junior, works at the West Sacramento Recreation Center as a lifeguard.

“I work with my friends, I get a great tan, I help people everyday, hours are flexible, and my boss is super nice and understanding,” she commented.

O’Hara has been working at the Rec Center for 2 years now and it is her first job.

“If I could give advice to people looking for jobs right now I would tell them to apply everywhere and anywhere they find interest in, finding a job is hard and finding a job where you live is even harder. I didn’t want to apply for the job I have now at first because it didn’t sound like much fun but I applied anyway and I got the job and I love it!” O’Hara assured.

There can be times where getting a job seems too hard to keep trying for, and it can take from days to weeks, even months to proceed to the next step to being hired.

“Be patient and don’t worry. Something will pop up soon,” said Beloved Hannah Lexus Hardwicke, a sophomore at River City. Hardwicke has been working at ATA in West Sacramento since summer of 2018.

Finding a job is a process, but the experience is memorable to look back on. For students who are not involved in any after-school or extracurricular activities, working is a great option where many benefits come out of it.Working with other employees and team members improves social skills and can prepare young people for their future careers they’ll have.

Senior Katie O’Hanlon’s first job was at Land Park Little League Concessions, where she started working in March of 2018. Recently, she was recommended by a friend at River City to work at Devil May Care Ice Cream.  

“Apply to every single place you can, most won’t bother calling back. Also, ask around your friend group if their works are hiring and they can put in a good word for you,” O’Hanlon said. “I wish I tried harder and applied to more places when I was younger.”

About the Writer