Introducing West Sacramento FFA

President Zoe Anderson’s love for the program

Karolena Rubio, Editor

The FFA Officers and Advisor

FFA, short for Future Farmers of America started at River City High School three years ago.

The FFA chapter of West Sacramento at River City is run by advisor Ms. McAllister, who is also the Agriculture Biology teacher at the extended River City campus, Bryte. Her student teacher Mrs. Karen is also very helpful to the FFA chapter.

Opportunities the FFA provides are public speaking events, project competitions, county and state fairs, scholarships and internships.

The National FFA Organization was founded in the United States in 1928, and is specifically for high schoolers and middle schoolers to promote agricultural education. It makes a positive difference through its participants by developing leadership skills, individual growth and a career opportunity in agriculture.

The president for the 2018-2019 school year is Zoe Anderson.

“I have been an  officer for 2 years prior,  so running for president wasn’t as difficult as I imagined,” Anderson said. “I learned I loved agriculture my 8th grade year. My sophomore year I decided I loved the Bryte classes so much, I wanted to be a teacher myself”.

She said she wants to follow in the footsteps as Ms. McAllister and bring attention to a great program for those who haven’t participated.

“McAllister holds this chapter together. Without her I wouldn’t have found my second family in FFA”.

FFA is currently available to a group of 8th graders and high school students in West Sacramento. At the Bryte campus where all the agriculture and academy classes are held, they have raised rabbits, chickens and more. Anderson says she has raised a horse and two lambs personally, and plans to raised two more this year for the Yolo County Fair and local competitions.

“I’ve learned how to grow a tower garden, grow and harvest my own food, identify different varieties of plants, learn proper nutrients needed for plants to flourish, raise and show lambs, public speaking, how to propagate, and most importantly except other people’s differences” says Zoe Anderson. She expresses her experiences with the program and the people has been positive and influential to her life and has made changes in it beneficially.

April 2019 will be the 91st annual California State FFA Leadership Conference, where most to all California FFA chapters will travel to Anaheim to celebrate the organization’s accomplishments, participate in workshops, go on agricultural tours and attend an exclusive event at California Adventure park.

“It was always a dream to be in FFA,” Anderson said.

About the Writer