Cafeteria Etiquette

A Story From the Servers Point of View

Robert Medina, Reporter

By 11:47 a.m. River City students forget how to properly function as human beings.

They turn into this cranky, “hangry” monsters that are way too eager to get to the cafeteria and take a break from school. While waiting for their food, the students rush past each other, cut each other in line, and complain the whole way about the food that they want to eat.

Lunch is an important of the school day. And the people who deal with these near “savages” are their fellow students–the servers who give them their food.  

One of these students, Katia Voyeroda have to experience this everyday while serving students of all grades at River City. She is a junior and works at the Asian Bowls line. This line is one of the more popular lines at R.C. so she has to work fast. And working fast often results miscommunications or mix-ups between server and “customer’’.

“I mix up people’s orders when they switch spots last minute in line. Like someone will order then see their friends a couple spots back and go to talk to them and the food has to go somewhere. Some of the time we have give it to the next person, but not all the time,” Voyeroda explains what she sees happened in the lunch line and the consequences.

When this happens, as she said, they have to give it to the next person in line. And this sometimes causes some tension in the lunch line. But even without this, some students still try to give their opinions.

“When I’m behind the bar I often hear other kids discussing which food they should get. And I hear things like ‘don’t get the chow mein it sucks’ or ‘the orange chicken is gross don’t get it,’” Voyeroda complains, “and usually I push it off because they’re entitled to their opinion. But when they do as I’m serving them I’m a little annoyed”

Katia explains that when this happens she can’t really do anything because it’s not her fault if someone thinks the food’s bad. She just has to move on. But it still hurts.

When people are rude to her, Voyeroda has to deal with it. And there’s nothing she can really do to stop it. But she still tries.

“Depending on the type of day I’m having I just give them a slightly less amount of food and move on to the next guy. There really is not a lot I can do.”

When the student servers are working they normally witness the “lack of manners” coming from students. This means that students don’t use common etiquette such as “please” and “thank you”. The servers in the cafeteria would like their “customers” to treat the cafeteria better. Or use these common manners that are supposed to be known by everyone.

“I mean they don’t have to go complimenting every aspect of the food. Just something as simple as “please” and “thank you” isn’t much, but can go such a long way in the big picture.”