The Stresses of High School

For many students at River City, having to deal with the stress of all their activities, classes, and grades is a daily occurrence.

Zoe Vergara, Reporter

Throughout a regular day at school, kids start their day off by stressing about what needs to be done and when.

“The most stressful part of my day is having to manage all my time in order to do everything I have to do for the day,” freshman, Lilu Montoya, shared.

For Montoya, having a strong support team to turn to when she feels burnt out is how she feels motivated to maintain her 4.0 GPA and continue all of her activities, including cheer and band.

Montoya’s best friend, Lalhia Macias, explains, “I just always make sure she knows I’m here for her. I can always tell when she’s more stressed than usual so I’ll tell her to hang out with me in a non school setting so we can just relax and have fun.”

The way students handle stress differ greatly, from a freshman’s perspective to a senior’s perspective on how their schedules make them feel.

“I don’t ever feel like dropping out, I think that’s dumb because it’s high school and it’s the easiest thing,” senior, Prisha Narayan, expressed on the topic of quitting.

Montoya added, “Sometimes when I’m in school, I just get so bored and I don’t know how I’m gonna use any of this in my adult life, but I know it’s gonna matter when I’m older, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.”

According to an article, titled “Exam Stress Among Teens,” about the causes of teen suicide, written by Nicola Harley, an investigation of 130 suicides of people under the age of 20 are caused by school related pressures.

Research behind this report stated that “a death by suicide was not often down to one single cause, and could come after a build-up of different stresses.”

Time management is the key to handling everything without feeling overwhelmed and overworked.

Narayan says, “I just always plan ahead. The most stressful thing is trying to balance all of my shifts.”

Keeping a schedule and a calendar is what many students use to keep track of their day to day tasks.

“It’s all about time management. I try to manage my time accordingly based on the amount of homework I have. So, if I have cheer practice, I’ll do my homework while I’m waiting. And I practice band during the day, usually at school because I can’t take my instrument home,” Montoya explains.

Not only do they have to worry about getting their work done, they also have to worry about impressing their parents and making sure they don’t let them down.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m pressured because my whole family is like really smart and sometimes I feel like I’m not smart enough, I won’t live up to their expectations. That’s nerve-racking. They just support me with whatever I want to do and my decisions,” Montoya expresses.

A lot of motivation and focus is needed in order to stay on task and keep up a 4.0 GPA while also staying on top of other activities.

Montoya says, “A lot of times, being a cheerleader or being in band, you lose sight of you’re education and you make your extracurriculars your first priority. In order to do your extracurriculars, you have to keep your grades up and do good in school. It’s kind of like you’re extracurriculars depend on how your grade look so you have to keep your focus on school so you can continue doing the things that you want.”

Finally as a senior, graduating in eight days, Narayan looks back on her years of high school, remembering all the times she had to stress, and how little it all seems now.