Celebrating Chinese New Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Chinese New Year

Jescherie Pascua Arela, Writer

Room 804, period one, celebrated Chinese New Year by eating Chinese foods, playing outdoor Chinese games and learning more about Chinese words.
Freshmen Shu-Shen Gaby who is Chinese said, “Chinese New Year is a big thing for me because celebrating Chinese New Year is part of my culture and it symbolizes another chance to make life better.”
During the preparation of the food Ms. Ren, the teacher, tells the students the name of the food in Chinese and what is it made from. When the students like the food the students answered with yes or no in Chinese. Some of the foods are Dumpling in Chinese is Jiao zi ,Spring roll is Chun Juan and Fried rice is Chow fan.
“Eating food is one of my favorite part in celebrating Chinese New Year and some are receiving red envelopes (money) and watching lion dance,” said Shu-Shen.
After eating Chinese foods the class went outside to play some outdoor games like jumping ropes, yo-yo, and Jianzi kick shuttlecock which is a game similar to American hacky sac. The students enjoyed the games in a nice weather outside the H building.
“I miss playing Chinese games especially Shéng tiào which is jumping rope, I haven’t played it for a long time, but now thanks to my teacher I played it again,” said Shu-Shen
According to History.com, Chinese New Year remains the most important social and economic holiday in China and the holiday was a time to honor household and heavenly deities as well as ancestors.
Ms. Jing Ren, who teaches Chinese in RCHS said, “Celebrating Chinese New Year is like celebrating Christmas, the whole family can get together and people can get more connected.”